New Recipe Friday
I am definitely not a chef. I will call myself one but purely, I am just someone who has found a love in cooking. I got so wrapped up in cooking that I even learned how to make homemade pasta.
What to expect from new recipe Fridays: lots of pasta. Kind of kidding. Kind of not. I generally love making pasta dishes but I will be gracious and show recipes without pasta, mainly because my husband is not a fan of all the pasta. I would be making my family extra fluffy if all I did was make pasta. Some could be healthy & some will be unhealthy since I definitely am not a diet type of person.
Take note: I do attempt to buy healthy products and even organic things. I enjoy promoting a healthier lifestyle but I am also not shy to say that I do have the occasional cheat meal, so expect a variety. I tend not to measure anything I am putting in the pan so everything is definitely an estimate, make sure everything is to your liking for your own taste buds. Also, I feed a group of 5 people, which include two grown men & a 5 year old who eats like he is grown, so each recipe will be to that scale.
When I am giving these recipes, I am basically doing them my own special way and I want you to do the same. Just like everyones walk of faith is different so will our cooking. Use what I give here as a guideline, put your own spin to it. Make it spicy, don’t make it spicy. Use a different type of pasta or change it to rice. You do you & then tell me if its good so I can try it out.
For the first recipe, I feel like it would be fitting to start off with pasta. We will keep it simple and use boxed pasta. We are just going to jump right into the recipe because if you are like me, you skipped just about reading all of this just so you can see how to cook everything & what you need.
Stuffed Pepper Pasta Casserole
- 1 white onion
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 2 lbs of lean ground beef
- 1 can of tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water
- 5 leaves of basil (chopped)
- 2 tsp of oregano (or to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 box of whole wheat penne pasta or pasta of your choosing (16 ounces)
- 2 cups of Mexican blend shredded cheese (put as much as you like)
- Cook pasta according to box instructions (al dente: almost done, they will cook the rest of the way in the oven.) Drain. Set aside. Save some pasta water for later.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & prepare a casserole dish (4 qt) with greasing the sides so it doesn’t stick.
- Slice onions and bell peppers (try not to cry while cutting onion). Chop up basil and set aside.
- Heat large cooking pan over medium heat. Add some extra virgin olive oil, toss in onions & bell peppers. Cook until soft & onion is basically transparent.
- Throw in ground beef to the pan & break it up as small as possible. Cover for a few minutes & let cook.
- Once meat is browned, add in tomato sauce, salt & pepper. Pour pasta water into tomato sauce can to get all of the excess tomato sauce. Stir until mixed.
- Add in oregano & chopped up basil. Stir in pasta & transfer mixture to your casserole dish.
- Put the cheese on top (I like to stir some cheese in as well) & bake for 15 -17 minutes. Enjoy!
Please let me know how this goes & share how you made it differently so I can test it out for myself! Have an amazing weekend!