Ever since I started posting about new recipes every Friday, my husband has taken it as is sole duty to find me all the new recipes to make. Most of them tend to not be pasta cause that tends to be my go to. I feel a sense that he is trying to tell me that I shouldn’t make pasta all the time and that it might be making us just a tad fluffy.
All worth it if that means I get to eat a lot of pasta but once again this recipe does not involve pasta but another one of my favorite things to eat, cornbread.
Let’s jump into the recipe!
Tamale Pie or Chili Cornbread Casserole
Feeds: Prep time: Cook time:
5 people 30 minutes 25 minutes
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 1 white onion
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 cup of Mexican blend cheese
- 2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon of cayenne
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 oz)
- 1 large can on kidney beans (27 oz, drained)
- 1 can of red enchilada sauce (10 oz)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Chop up onion and jalapeños to small pieces and set aside
- In 2 separate bowls mix cornbread mix to package instructions and set aside (do not bake yet)
- In a large skillet, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions and jalapeños together. Cook until onions until transparent.
- Add in ground beef to onion jalapeños and seasonings: cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, oregano, salt and pepper.
- After ground beef has been browned, add in drained kidney beans, crushed tomatoes and red enchilada sauce. Let mixture come to a simmer.
- Cover bottom of casserole dish with butter (I used a 4 quart casserole dish). Spread one bowl of cornbread mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Put ground beef mixture in casserole dish over cornbread mix, put a layer of Mexican blend cheese then the second bowl of cornbread mix on the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until cornbread mix on the top looks complete.
Enjoy & let me know how you change the recipe to fit your family!