It is finally time to share a pasta recipe! This is one of my absolute favorite recipes to make! Especially when I am not in the mood to go to Chilis or spend a lot of money! This is essentially a copy cat recipe to the Cajun Chicken Pasta from Chili’s but with my own little twist to it.
I first made this last year when I started playing around with different recipes I wanted to try. I distinctly remember telling my husband that I wanted to be able to make the dish I got from Chili’s so that I could stop spending all my money on it and this is what came out of it.
Chili’s Copycat Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 16 ounces of penne pasta (or pasta of your choosing)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons of cajun seasoning
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest (lemon pepper will work too)
- Salt & pepper (to your liking)
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 3 Roma tomatoes (diced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of green onions
- 1/2 cup of freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Cut chicken into small chunks and coat chicken thoroughly with 1 tablespoon of oil, cajun seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a big ziploc bag or bowl.
- Cook pasta to package instructions, drain well and reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water
- In a large pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook all the way through. Add in half the tomatoes and half the green onions and cook for an extra 5-6 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- In the same pan, melt butter over the medium heat and add in minced garlic, cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually which in heavy cream and lemon zest or lemon pepper. Whisk constantly, until completely incorporated. Add reserved pasta water. Stir in parmesan to help thicken the sauce. If the mixture is too thick add in more heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in pasta and chicken and gently toss to combine.
- Garnish with the rest of the tomatoes, green onions, extra parmesan and parsley. If desired.
- Serve immediately
Enjoy & let me know how you change it up to make it your own!