Who else likes cajun food as much as I do?
I am a cajun eating woman! I absolutely love things that are spicy to an extent. I still want the food to be edible.
Highly recommend putting your own twist to it if you do not like things to be super spicy. Let’s jump into the recipe!
One Pot Jambalaya
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 2 red bell peppers (diced)
- 3 jalapeños (diced)
- 5 mini stalks celery (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 chicken breast (chopped)
- 1 pound andouille sausage (sliced)
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- Parsley for garnish
- Recommendation: chop, dice, and slice everything before you begin so all you have to do is throw it into the pot. Also, season the chicken with your fave ingredients.
- In a large skillet in medium to high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sauté onions, red bell peppers, jalapeño peppers and celery. Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until soft (onions should be transparent looking). Add in the minced garlic and cook for an extra minute or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the chicken and sausage to the pan plus 2 more tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Cook until chicken in no longer pink.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, salt & pepper, cajun seasoning, basil, thyme, bay leaf and red pepper flakes. Stir it all together and add seasoning to taste.
- Stir in chicken bone broth and white rice (extra water if needed). Bring pan to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pan for 25-30 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is almost all absorbed. If meal gets dry while cooking, add in an extra splash of water and stir occasionally.
- Add shrimp in the pan and cook until the shrimp is cooked all the way through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Enjoy & let me know how you make it your own!